Butterfly species vary from area to area, state to state, and region to region. Plants chosen for a butterfly garden in Florida many not be the best plants for a garden in New York or Oregon.
For the Southeastern US, these are some of the plants that would be great in a butterfly garden.
- Pawpaw for Zebra Swallowtail
- Pipevine for Pipevine Swallowtail
- Fennel, parsley, dill for Eastern Black Swallowtail
- Black cherry, tulip poplar for Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
- Spicebush, red bay, sassafrass, for Spicebush Swallowtail and Palamedes Swallowtail
- Milkweed for Monarch and Queen
- False nettle, hackberry, for Eastern Comma, Question Mark, Red Admiral
- Passion vine for Gulf Fritillary, Zebra Longwing, Variegated Fritillary, Julia
- Asters for Pearl Crescent
- Willow, hackberry for Mourning Cloak
- Willow, black cherry for Red-spotted Purple
- Willow for Viceroy
- Hackberry for Tawny Emperor and Hackberry Emperor
- Hackberry for American Snout
- Senna for Cloudless Sulphur, Orange-barred Sulphur, and Sleepy Orange
Many of these plants are available online from Shady Oak Butterfly Farm.