For the Northeastern Region of the U.S., these are some of the plants that are recommended for a butterfly garden.
- Fennel, parsley, dill for Eastern Black Swallowtail
- Black cherry, aspen, birch for Canadian Tiger Swallowtail
- Spicebush, red bay, sassafrass for Spicebush Swallowtail
- Milkweed for Monarch
- False nettle, nettles hackberry for Eastern Comma, Gray Comma, Question Mark
- False nettle, nettles for Red Admiral
- Violets for Great Spangled Fritillary, Meadow Fritillary, Variegated Fritillary, Atlantis Fritillary, Silver-bordered Fritillary
- Nettles for Milbert’s Tortoiseshell
- Aspen, cottonwood, willow for Compton’s Tortoiseshell
- Willow, hackberry, elm for Mourning Cloak
- Willow for Viceroy and White Admiral
- Asters for Pearl Crescent
- Alfalfa for Orange Sulphur and Clouded Sulphur
- Plantain for Baltimore Checkerspot
Many of these plants are available online from Shady Oak Butterfly Farm.
Learn more plants and butterflies for this region as well as other areas of the US with a highly recommended field guide or book.