For the Southwestern Region of the U.S., these are some of the plants that are recommended for a butterfly garden.
- Milkweed for Monarch
- Passion vine for Gulf Fritillary
- Oak for Arizona Sister
- Pipevine for Pipevine Swallowtail
- Alfalfa and clover for Clouded Sulphur and Orange Sulphur
- Senna for Tailed Orange
- Hackberry for American Snout
- Desert hackberry for Empress Lelia
- False nettle and stinging nettle for Red Admiral
- Pussy toes and pearly everlasting for American Lady and Painted Lady
- Paintbrush, beardstongues for Edith’s Checkerspot
Some of these plants are available online from Shady Oak Butterfly Farm.
Learn more plants and butterflies for this region as well as other areas of the US with a highly recommended field guide or book.